Friday, May 12, 2006

WesESL Graduation Party....


This afternoon, there was the WesESL Graduation party at the German House backyard. I came about 40 min after 12pm, since I wasn't quite planning to go... but then I remember that it's not just simply a party... It's the students' graduation party!
I came just in time for diploma. I was there when Felix got his diploma... OMG, I was so happy seeing him receiving that piece of paper because it's what he deserved.

Felix's smile and jokes

I remember the first day of our ESL class... I was quite nervous when I realized that my student, Felix Rosario, didn't really speak English compare to other students. He spoke soooo little English that I wasn't sure where to begin our semester. I tried different ways of getting him to speak English, and most importantly to have the bravery to use English. As a person who has been learning foreign languages, I know how hard it is to use the language, only because you have no confidence. Soo... mmm... I decided not to focus on grammar, but to make him understand "useful" English. It wasn't easy... Felix was shy so it was hard to get a conversation going, even in Spanish sometimes... But I didn't give up! I discovered slowly that Felix enjoys playing games... So we played tons of words games, Oooo... I'm going to miss playing BINGO with him (>_<) I changed my teaching styles a couple of times, coz either I didn't have enough time to prepare the materials, or simply for the sake of experimenting my ideas and teaching plans. I'm very grateful that I got into the ESL program coz I got to teach what I like and learn how to make teaching lessons. I'm happy that Felix is a diligent person because he seriously was my biggest motivation to do well in teaching.

THANKS FELIX!

After one semester, I felt attached to my student. I wonder if I would feel the same when I'm in NYC next semester... I'm seriously going to do another ESL program as soon as I come back from NY. I'm happy seeing Felix's improvements... Although he still needs to work on his English (ALOT!), but he has showed some improvements in his conversation skills, he's braver now :) I hope that he maintains it and would work harder with whoever his tutor is. I hope he gets a good tutor coz he's very diligent (he never missed classes unless he's so sick!) and he's willing to work hard! yeah :)

Me encanté conocerte y espero que nos comuniquemos siempre... gracias Felix!