Wednesday, August 31, 2005

culture shock???!!!

Obviously culture shock is part of my Argentina adventure. Due to the zillion culture shocks I experience in the past, this time I think I can handle them better. I knew nothing about this country before I came here. As I have said to several people, if I hadnt gone to the States, I wouldve thought of going to this part of the world. So, I guess I came without many expectations and precautions either...

I was surprised to see how homogeneous this country is. Yeah, mainly European decendants and I hardly meet Asians or other ethnicities. I met two or three muslims, just because we're so obvious, but that was it. Barrio Chino, or Chinatown here is not a town! It only consists of 3 blocks of streets of restaurants and a couple of tiny Asian markets. And there arent that many people speaking Chinese. Very different if you go to NYC's Chinatown where you kinda only here "ni hao ma" as you make your way around the town.

There are many what I would prolly call culture shock after being here for almost 2 months--cant believe how fast the clock is ticking...

- well, the tiny barrio chino/chinatown that serves you meals without the rice!!! they serve like, ma-po tofu with bread instead!
- sending a letter through the post office can take you forever... I dont know how the system works here, but they sure make you wait for at least half an hour...
- although the weather is nice outside that you'd think that it's spring, people will still wear thick jackets and scarfs... because it's still winter!
- the subway closes before 11pm! how could they do such a thing???
- it's better to smoke in the class than eating a sandiwch during lecture!

I cant really think clearly right now, since I have a stuffed nose (again...). I shouldve listened to the Argetines about "wear warmer clothes next time!"
I need to start reading this Historia contemporánea de América Latina...